Cat & Dog of the Month
Each month Almost Home features an exceptional cat and dog of the month. These animals are selected because they are particularly deserving of adoption...either because of their unique personalities, popularity among the staff, particular need for a permanent home, or the length of time at our shelter. This month's picks are shown below. For more pictures and information on these animals, select the applicable link below
. Dog of the Month
: Snowy Cat of the Month
- KITTEN SALE!!! Currently kittens are $40 each or two for $50 while supply lasts.
- REALLY GREAT DOG AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION...
- "Paws" for Bunco...hilarious afternoon of dice rolling fun on Nov. 9 at 1:30 pm at Rockfish Valley Community Center! Support homeless dogs & cats. All proceeds benefit Nelson County's SPCA. For more information... Click here to see poster.
- "Emergency Preparedness - then and now Event" on Sunday, Sept. 21, from noon to 4 pm at Rockfish Valley Community Center. Check Events page for more information.
- "ANGELS"...The hound Lazarus referenced in this article, was adopted from Almost Home. You must read this touching blog written by his owner. View under News & Articles.
- Protecting your pets against ticks might save your life. Three recent articles have been posted under News & Articles regarding the Loan Star Tick found in Virginia and other surrounding states. If bitten by this tick, humans may develop an allergy to red meat which can be potentially life threatening. Read the articles so you know what this tick looks like, what you can do to protect yourself against them, and also be aware of the signs you are having an allergic reaction.
- Check out the "Comparing Kennels" website. Planning on boarding your pet? A link to this pet boarding comparison tool has just been added under the Merchants & Services page of our website.
- 10K Run/Walk to help raise funds for Almost Home at the DelFossee Vineyard in Faber, VA, on Nov. 1, 2014 starting at 10 am. Check the Events page for more information or Click here to see flyer!
- Thrift Shop Desperately Needs Packing Material for Our EBay Business. Items needed include peanuts, bubble wrap, styrofoam, shredded paper, and air pillows. Please drop items off at our Thrift Store.
- HELP!!! Thrift Shop Needs Volunteers....volunteers needed to restock merchandise, help with processing donations, "roaming Gnomes" to help our customers and keep roaming items in their places. The volunteer can "adopt" a department and come in at their leisure to maintain it.
- 5 Shelter Pet Myths Debunked - interesting article. Go to News & Articles to view
Every Pet is Perfect Parade & Show
on Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014. Check out News & Articles
for the article entitled "Pets Strut Their Stuff At Second Annual Parade, Show."
Pictures from this event have also been posted in our Photo Gallery
. Some of our dogs received ribbons, including 1st and 2nd Place for Best in Show!!!
PETIE - Best in Show - 1st Place & Best Kisser - 2nd Place - AVAILABLE
GIZMO - Best in Show - 2nd Place & Best Hairdo - 1st Place - ADOPTED
WINSTON - Most Spots - 3rd Place - AVAILABLE
- Almost Home is currently in need of Kuranda Cat Beds and Pads. For your convenience, step by step instructions for Donating Kuranda products have just been added under News & Articles. If you select the link above, you can skip to step 4 which will display our Wish List for items needed. In addition to a 10% discount, you will also only need to pay a $5 shipping charge for items shippped directly to our shelter.
- Help to Heal Fund - Almost Home is in need of funds for Doggie Howzer. See pictures below.
- Why We Need Your Support...See visually why it's so important that the Humane Society/SPCA of Nelson County receives your support. Did you know we get 0% funding from Nelson County, taxes, ASPCA or HSUS but rely mainly on donations and sales at our Thrift Shop. Go to News & Articles to view pie chart of the breakdown.
before pictures (4/23/14) and just 6 weeks later!!!
- Share our Shelter On Facebook... Almost Home would like to grow our online networking to help us get our shelter animals adopted. If each of you added two friends to Facebook, and those individuals added two friends, our network would grow immensely! We've added a "find us on Facebook" button just below the Navigation Menu (on left).
- HELP NEEDED AT OUR SHELTER! If you love playing with cats and kittens, and have a couple hours to give of your time on Thursday mornings, we'd love to have you as part of the team. We are looking for a volunteer to help clean cat cages and cat rooms. Rewards of this job include self-satisfaction, good conversation with other cat loving individuals, free cat hair to decorate your clothes, and constant purrs and body rubs by thankful adorable cats and kittens. Call our shelter and ask for Bonnnie 434 263-7722.
Did you know the Almost Home Pet Adoption Center, a no-kill shelter, is funded entirely by donations & fundraisers? We receive NO funding from Nelson County! And, thanks to the help of dedicated staff, volunteers and fosters, we are able to save many animals and help prevent their needless suffering. Unfortunately, we are constantly in need of help!!! Some ways you can help...
Visit the Donation Info, Help To Heal Fund, Volunteering, Thrift Shop or Events pages.
The "Help To Heal" fund was developed to deal with the growing number of animals that are arriving at our facility in need of medical care above and beyond our normal budget capacity. Monies donated to the “Help To Heal” fund will be used to pay for these medical costs. To donate, please select our Help to Heal Fund link.
Funds are currently needed for Doggie Howzer who had severe injuries to his back...exact cause unknown...possibly from a truck or train. For more information on Doggie Howzer select his name below.
Doggie Howzer #16993
Donate a Kuranda Dog OR Cat Bed to Almost Home!!!
Almost Home receives 10% of sales generated from visitors to Kuranda Website using link below!!! Also, you get $5 Flat Rate Shipping for each dog or 2 cat beds donated to our shelter.
Under News & Articles
there is a document entitled "Instructions for Donating Kuranda Products to Almost Home/Nelson County SPCA". If you select the Kuranda Dog Beds link below, you should already be at step 4 of these instructions, i.e. our shelter has already been specified as the recipient of your donation in steps 1-3...the sometimes confusing part. Steps 5 and 6 are normal checkout.
Website Questions? Comments? Email webmaster at email@example.com